Anthony J. Skemp
Anthony J. Skemp is a partner and shareholder in the Milwaukee law firm of Martin Law Office, S.C., focusing his practice on general liability matters; more specifically, automobile collisions; including motorcycle and truck collisions, premises liability, dog injuries, third party workers compensation claims, wrongful death, insurance bad faith, and nursing home negligence.
Tony was born and raised in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He received his B.A. from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1990. While at St. Thomas, he was a four-year letter winner in men’s basketball, serving as captain during the 1988-89 and 1989-90 basketball campaigns. After graduating from St. Thomas, Tony coached college basketball at St. Mary’s University in Winona, Minnesota from 1990 to 1994. During his tenure at St. Mary’s, he also worked in the admissions office and served as director of alumni relations actively involved in St. Mary’s recruiting and fundraising efforts. In 1995, he left St. Mary’s to attend law school at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Tony graduated from Marquette Law School in 1998.
Since graduating from law school, Tony has practiced exclusively in the area of personal injury litigation. He has tried several cases to verdict in Milwaukee and surrounding counties, as well as Brown, Dunn, and Wood counties. He is an active member of the Wisconsin Association for Justice (WAJ), currently serving as a member of WAJ’s Board of Directors. He is also a member of the editorial board of “The Verdict”, WAJ’s seasonal publication, wherein he writes a book review in each seasonal issue. Tony has served as the chair of WAJ New Lawyers Division and served on the Wisconsin Civil Justice Education Foundation Board of Directors.
He has spoken to various groups throughout the state, including students, paralegals, and attorneys, about personal injury matters and the civil justice system and has authored several articles about personal injury matters. In 2006, 2007, and 2008, Tony was selected as a “Rising Star” by Wisconsin Super Lawyers & Rising Stars; a magazine published by and for Attorneys. In each year since 2009—including, most recently, in 2016–Tony has been elected a Super Lawyer by his peers. The selection process for such an “award” identifies qualified candidates by using a multi-step evaluation process that incorporates peer recognition and professional achievement.
Tony is board-certified in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA). A National Board of Trial Advocacy Certified Attorney has demonstrated skill and expertise in a particular field and has proven it through trial experience, rigorous examination, and testing by the NBTA. He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell and has a “Superb” 10.0 rating on AVVO.
Tony is a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Association for Justice, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Bar Association, and the American Association for Justice.
From a personal perspective, Tony is a self-proclaimed “wine snob,” a music aficionado, and enjoys attending sporting events and concerts, working out, cooking, downhill skiing, and traveling. Tony lives in Franklin.
Areas of Practice
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin – 1998
- University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Mitnik, Keith, “Don’t Eat the Bruises: How to Foil Their Plans to Spoil Your Case”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Summer 2016, Volume 39:3.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Miller, Phillip H., and Scoptur, Paul J “Advanced Depositions Strategy and Practice”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Spring 2014, Volume 37:2.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (DVD Review) Friedman, Rick “Moral Core Advocacy: Finding the Heart of Your Case”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Winter 2014, Volume 37:1.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (DVD Review) Koehler, Karen “Preparing for a Defense Medical Exam”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Summer 2013, Volume 36:3.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Ball, David “Theatre Tips and Strategies for Jury Trials”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Fall 2012, Volume 35:4.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (DVD Review) Friedman, Rick and Bauermeister, Don “Stop Your Whining & Go to Trial”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Spring 2012, Volume 35:2.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Bailey, William S. & Bailey, Robert W. “Show the Story, the Power of Visual Advocacy”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Winter 2012, Volume 35:1.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Hall, Robert T. & Tecala Mila Ruiz “Grief and Loss, Identifying and Proving Damages in Wrongful Death Cases, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, page 31.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Keenan, Don C. “Moe Levine on Advocacy”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Summer 2010, Volume 33:3.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Ball, David & Keenan, Don “REPTILE–The 2009 Manual of the Plaintiff’s Revolution, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, Spring 2010, Volume 33:2.
- Skemp, Anthony J. (Book Review) Bailey, William S. & Bailey, Robert W. “Show The Story, The Power Of Visual Advocacy”, The Verdict, Wisconsin Association for Justice, page 39.
- “From Good Hands To Boxing Gloves” The Dark Side of Insurance Don’t Believe The Hype: It’s The Insurance Cycle Stupid, The Verdict, Fall, 2004
- Honthaners Restaurants, Inc. v. Labor and Industry Review Com’n, 240 Wis.2d 234, 621 N.W.2d 660 (Wis App 2000)
- Hamdan v. Dawicki, 296 Wis.2d 623, 724 N.W.2d 234 (WI App 209, Wis.App 2006)
- Snyder v. Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund, 320 Wis.2d 259, 768 N.W.2d 271 (WI App 86 2009)
- Pries v. McMillon, 326 Wis.2d 37, 784 N.W.2d 648 (WI 63 2010)
- Fagan v. DeStefanis, 06-C-0380, 2006 U.S.Dist. LEXIS 90912 (E.D. Wis. Dec. 14, 2006) (2006)
- Held v. Ackerville Snowmobile Club, Inc, 2007 WI App 43, 300 Wis.2d 498, 730 N.W.2d 428 (2007)
- Pegues v. Progressive Northern Insurance Co, 2009 WI App 41, 316 Wis.2d 774, 766 N.W.2d 242 (2009)
- Lang v. Lions Club of Cudahy Wisconsin, Inc., 2020 WI 25, 390 Wis.2d 627, 939 N.W.2d 582.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin Association for Justice, Member, Editorial Board of “The Verdict”
- Wisconsin Association for Justice, Member, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice (Formerly known as the ATLA), Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy