Dual Board Certified
Attorney Kevin R. Martin is the only Registered Nurse and AV Rated Preeminent personal injury lawyer in the State of Wisconsin. Less than 4% of attorneys throughout the country receive dual board certification and less than 5% of attorneys throughout the country achieve AV Rating. The combined expertise in personal injury law and medicine provides the clients of Martin Law Office, S.C. with unparalleled representation.
As a health care provider, Kevin worked in both the hospital and nursing home settings. No attorney can match Kevin’s combination of medical and legal expertise.
Kevin received a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, with honors, from Concordia University Wisconsin. As a practicing registered nurse, Kevin specialized in cardiovascular and medical-surgical intensive care. He draws upon his nursing experience and medical knowledge to provide his personal injury clients with unparalleled representation.
Kevin continues to maintain his license as a registered nurse. For over a decade, Kevin taught countless nursing students as an adjunct professor of nursing at Concordia. Kevin taught nurses throughout southeastern Wisconsin in both classrooms and hospitals about the legal aspects of nursing care, including standards of care, assessment errors, and medication errors.
Throughout his career, Kevin has represented clients in personal injury law. He’s helped countless people injured by automobile accidents, motorcycle accidents, trucking accidents, medical malpractice, nursing negligence, nursing home negligence, slip and falls (premises liability), unsafe products (product liability), and insurance disputes, including wrongful denial of benefits governed by State law and ERISA-covered insurance plans. Kevin has enabled clients to recover their medical expenses, lost wages, and human damages known as pain, suffering, disability and disfigurement.
Areas of Practice
- Registered Nurse – Wisconsin (June 1998)
- Wisconsin Supreme Court (May 2003) (State Bar No.: 1045748)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin (May 2003)
- Western District of Wisconsin (November 2011)
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals (July 2016)
- Martin Law Office, S.C.
- Founder / Managing Partner
- Cannon & Dunphy, S.C.
- Partner / Shareholder (1/2011 – 3/2012)
- Associate (9/2004 – 12/2010)
- Domnitz, Mawicke & Goisman, S.C.
- Associate (5/2003 – 9/2004)
- Concordia University of Wisconsin School of Nursing
- Adjunct Professor of Nursing (2003 – 2013) 12800 North Lake Drive Mequon, WI 53097
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Registered Nurse (5/1998 – 12/2001)
- Specialty: Cardiothoracic Intensive Care
- Sub-specialties: Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Burn Intensive Care Unit, Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiac Care
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Juris Doctor (2003)Executive Editor – Elder’s Advisor: Journal of Elder Law (2002); Editor (2001)Vice President: Health Law Society (2001-2002)
- Concordia University of Wisconsin
- Bachelors of Science – Nursing (1998)Cum Laude
Honors & Awards
- American Board of Trial Advocates (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2015-present)
- Martindale Hubble AV-Preeminent Rated (2012-present)
- The American Society of Legal Advocates Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in Wisconsin (2013-present)
- Board Certification: National Board of Trial Advocacy: Civil Trial Specialist (2012-present)
- Board Certification: National Board of Trial Advocacy: Civil Pretrial Specialist (2012-present)
- Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyer
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Personal Injury: Plaintiff (2013-present)
- The State’s Outstanding Young Lawyers Wisconsin, Personal Injury: Plaintiff (2009-2012)
- The Trial Lawyers Association
- Top 40 under 40 (2012-2014)
- National Dean’s List – Marquette University Law School
- Marquette University Law School Scholar
- Dean’s List – Marquette University Law School
- Law School Academic Achievement Award (C.A.L.I.; awarded for the highest individual class grade):
- Pretrial Practice (2003)
- Health Care Provider Liability (2002)
- Advanced Issues in Tort Law (2002)
- Health Care Policy (2001)
- Sigma Theta Tao (Nursing Honor Society) – Concordia University Wisconsin
- Dean’s List – Concordia University Wisconsin
- Virginia B. Root Nursing Scholarship – Concordia University Wisconsin
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Oak Creek Community Center
- South Suburban Chamber of Commerce
Boards/Invited Positions & Community Service
- Wisconsin Association for Justice
- Member: 2003 – Present
- Board of Governors: 2014 – Present
- Regional Officer District 1 / Executive Committee: 2016 – Present
- Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing: Task Force for Professionals Program
- St. Matthew School Oak Creek Board of Education
- Member (2010 – 2011)
- Chairman (2011 – 2013)
- St. Matthew Parish Oak Creek
- Parish Council (2015 – present)
- Oak Creek High School Mock Trial Team
- Concordia University Wisconsin School of Nursing Advisory Council
- St. Anthony Milwaukee Board of Education
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Intra-aortic Balloon Pump
- Continuous Venous-Venous Hemofiltration
- Basic Critical Care
- Nursing Malpractice – Foundation, Application, and Prevention: Concordia University Wisconsin; School of Nursing – Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Traditional Program) (2002 – 2013).
- Malpractice Issues for the Occupational Therapist: Concordia University Wisconsin (2004 – 2010).
- Legal Issues and Licensure for the Advanced Practice Nurse: Concordia University Wisconsin; School of Nursing – Masters of Science in Nursing (2005 – 2013).
- Foundations of Nursing Law: Aurora Health Care Nursing Bachelors Completion Program (2005-2012)
- Nursing Malpractice: Concordia University Wisconsin; School of Nursing – Bachelors of Science in Nursing (Completion Program) (2005-2013)
- Avoiding Nursing Malpractice: Concordia University Wisconsin Nursing Honor Society Annual Reception (Keynote Speaker); Mequon, WI; October 2006.
- Medical Liability: St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center Perinatal Grand Rounds (Keynote Speaker); Milwaukee, WI; December 2006.
- Developing Medical Illustrations for Trial: Wisconsin Association for Justice, Paralegal Section, Winter Seminar; Milwaukee, WI; December 2008.
- Preparing Medical Records for Use at Deposition and Trial: Wisconsin Association for Justice, Paralegal Section, Winter Seminar; Milwaukee, WI; December 2009.
- The Reptile, The Economist and Judge Richard Posner: Thinking and speaking conservative during opening statements and closing argument; Wisconsin Association for Justice; Madison, WI; Fall Seminar, October 2012.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents During Pregnancy: Special considerations; State Bar of Wisconsin; Madison, WI; December 2012.
- Selecting a Safe Nursing Home; Seminar on Long Term Care; Oak Creek, WI; February 2013.
- Wisconsin Jury Symposium (Chair); State Bar of Wisconsin; Madison, WI; Moderator of Judicial Panel Discussion on Issues Commonly Seen During Jury Trials; September 6, 2013.
- Conducting Post-Trial Juror Interviews; State Bar of Wisconsin; Wisconsin Jury Symposium; Madison, WI; September 6, 2013.
- Wrongful Death Claims: Navigating the Intersection of Tort and Probate Law; State Bar of Wisconsin; Madison, WI; October 3, 2013.
- Nursing Law and Liability; Bryant and Stratton College, Section of Nursing; Milwaukee, WI; October 23, 2013.
- Medical Malpractice Case Study: From intake to settlement; Wisconsin Association for Justice, Paralegal Section, Winter Seminar; December 6, 2013.
- The Mechanics of Cervical Spine Injury in a Motor Vehicle Accident; State Bar of Wisconsin; Madison, WI; December 13, 2013.
- Advanced Deposition Techniques; McHenry County Bar Association; Elkhart Lake, WI; April 25, 2014.
- ERISA Subrogation: Issues for the plaintiff’s lawyer; State Bar of Wisconsin; June 16, 2016.
- Wisconsin Jury Symposium II (Chair); State Bar of Wisconsin; Waukesha, WI; Moderator of Judicial Panel Discussion on Issues Commonly Seen During Jury Trials; September 29, 2016.
- ERISA Subrogation; Wisconsin Association for Justice, Fall Seminar; October 21, 2016.
- Medical Discovery Basics for UM/UIM Cases; NBI Seminar; December 6, 2017.
- Cybersecurity and Law Firms in 2017; Wisconsin Association for Justice Winter Seminar; December 15, 2017.
- Litigating the Car Crash Case with a Plaintiff with Pre-Existing Injuries; State Bar of Wisconsin; January 18, 2018.
- Shortages and Mistreatment – Advantage RN, 11 NURSING MATTERS 2 (April 2002) (editorial).
- 2002 Supplement – Jury Selection, WISCONSIN TRIAL PRACTICE (1998).
- If Sensenbrenner Has His Way, Greedy Insurers Will Win, OZAUKEE PRESS, April 3, 2003 at 3A (editorial).
- 2004 Supplement – Jury Selection, WISCONSIN TRIAL PRACTICE (1998).
- 2004 Supplement – Medical Examinations, WISCONSIN DISCOVERY LAW (1998).
- The Paralegal’s Role in Managing the Subrogated Claim; THE VERDICT (SUMMER 2006).
- Does Wis. Stat. § 628.46 Interest Apply to Self-Insured Retainers?; THE VERDICT (Summer / Fall 2012).
- Preparing the Retained and Treating Expert Witness for Deposition; THE VERDICT (Summer 2014).
- Subrogation Rights And The Employment Retirement Income Security Act: Part one: History of ERISA, THE VERDICT (Summer 2015).
- Subrogation And The Employee Retirement Security Act: Part two: Identifying Plans Covered by ERISA, THE VERDICT (Fall 2015).
- Subrogation And The Employee Retirement Security Act: Parts three and four: Managing ERISA-covered subrogation liens pre-suit and during litigation, THE VERDICT (Winter 2015).
- Kevin R. Martin and Drew J. DeVinney, Nursing Home Litigation in the Wake of the Injunction on CMS’s Arbitration Ban, THE VERDICT (Winter 2017).