What Should I Do If I’m Hurt by a Defective Automobile?
Defective automobiles and automobile parts hurt numerous people every single year. Serious and catastrophic accidents often occur due to manufacturer recalls and defective designs. One highly publicized automobile defect is the design flaw found in most popular Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs). This design flaw causes serious and catastrophic SUV rollover accidents.
Yet, sport utility vehicles of all types remain on America’s roadways. Many of them pose a rollover hazard even when drivers operate them in dry weather on a level surface.
The design of the SUV implements a top-heavy body that can tip or rollover during a sharp turn. A rollover crash can also occur if another vehicle strikes the SUV. Once the vehicle rolls over onto its roof, the weight of the SUV can collapse the roof harming the driver and any passengers inside.
What Other Types of Auto Defects Can Cause a Manufacturer Recall?
Other cases of automotive defects that have been in the news recently include:
- Brake Issues. Brake failure can lead to terrible crashes and loss of life.
- Defective tires. Tire defects are responsible for thousands of injuries and hundreds of deaths.
- Defective airbags. Faulty airbags might fail to activate or activate with such extreme force that occupants suffer serious head and neck injuries.
- Seatbelt failures. Defective seatbelts can cause too much slack in the seatbelt. This slack may fail to restrain the occupant in an accident.
- Inadequate side-impact protection. When side impact airbags or protection fails in an accident, this can cause serious injury or death.
- Door failures. Defective doors could allow occupants to be thrown from the vehicle in an accident.
- Fuel system failures. Defects in the fuel system could lead to a fire following a collision. This most often occurs from a puncture in the fuel tank or an inadequately designed fuel system.
- Roof failures. Defective roofs can crush or cave in during a rollover accident. This can cause neck and back injuries or paralysis.
Potential Defendants in Your Product Liability Claim
Have you suffered an injury due to a defective automobile or automobile part? If so, you may have a product liability claim.
The first and best step to take after a defective automobile causes injury to you or a loved one is to call a car accident attorney. Product liability claims require a law firm with the experience and resources necessary to tackle these complex cases.
Your South Milwaukee car accident attorney will need to identify all potential defendants in your case. Many parties throughout the chain of distribution may be liable for your accident, including:
- The manufacturer of the vehicle
- A car parts manufacturer
- The car dealership
- An automotive supply shop
- The shipper
- A used car dealer
In general, you are not required to demonstrate negligence in a product liability claim. You must only prove the defect was unduly dangerous and was responsible for your injuries. However, cases involving a manufacturer recall may require special attention from a skilled litigator.
It is important to speak to a car accident attorney with experience in both personal injury and product liability law. This is the best way to ensure you receive the compensation you need.
Contact Our Milwaukee Car Accident Lawyers
After a manufacturer recall or serious accident, you need a Milwaukee car accident lawyer on your side. You deserve compensation for your injuries. You need money to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. That’s why our Oak Creek injury law firm fights for car accident victims. To learn more about your legal options, call us at 414-856-4010 or fill out our confidential contact form.